Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dude, That's Rude! (Get Some Manners)

Author: Pamela Espeland & Elizabeth Verdick
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Free Spirit Publishing; illustrated edition edition (January 15, 2007)
ISBN-10: 1575422336

Book Description:

Kids today need manners more than ever, and this book (part of the Free Spirit Laugh & Learn[TM] series) makes it fun and easy to get some. Full-color cartoons and kid-friendly text teach the basics of polite behavior in all kinds of situations while keeping young readers entertained on every page. Kids learn Power Words to use and P.U. Words to avoid, why their family deserves their best manners, how to yawn, how to burp, how to meet new people, how to treat a guest and be one, the right ways to use phones (including cell phones), school manners, mall manners, body manners, potty manners, the Top Ten Table Manners, and the essentials of e-etiquette (politeness online). It may seem like light reading, but it's serious stuff: Manners are major social skills, and Dude, That's Rude! gives kids a great start.

My Review:
Did you know that 8 out of 10 adults say that a lack of manners is a serious problem today? I should say, I'm one of those 8 out of 10. When I was a pre-teen my mother gave me a book on manners and insisted I read it. But that was several years ago and society has changed a lot since then.
Recently, I found this little book, Dude, That's Rude, on Amazon and thought how much fun it would be to review it on my children's book blog. So I ordered it and I wasn't disappointed. It may not be Amy Vanderbilt, but it's "way cool" and gets the good manners point across to children and adults alike.
The illustrations alone will hold anyone's attention and the way good manners are presented by the written word speaks to both pre-teens and teens. It addresses everyday issues like: power words and words that show you might be a clod; how to treat one's family; good school manners; and even mall manners. It discusses just about anything a kid needs to know about social skills.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and will suggest it to my family members and friends.



No comments: